How to Create an Amazon Best Product Description that Ranks High in Search
Among millions of items sold on Amazon, some catch your eye, while others go unnoticed. In many cases, this is because of the product listing quality.
Product description is an essential part of product listing that aims to give buyers enough information to make a purchase decision and compel them to buy it.
Read our guide to find out how to create a product description on Amazon that makes your product visible in search results and optimize it for higher rankings.
What Is Amazon Product Description?
A product description is the part of the product detail page on Amazon that gives details of your product and tells the shopper why it’s worth buying. The product description is one of the main components of Amazon product listing, alongside the title, images, bullet points, reviews, and customer Q&As.
Amazon product description includes information about the significant features and benefits of the product. This section is located on your listing, halfway down in the “Product Description” section.
Note: The Product Description is a text-only field. The number of characters you can use is limited. On average, it’s up to 2,000 characters. It can vary by product category.
Why Is Product Description Important on Amazon?
The description is the part of a listing page that helps showcase the advantages of your product over competitors and provides detailed product information to customers.
Product description advantages
- differentiates a product from the competition;
- gives detailed product information;
- helps avoid misunderstanding about an item;
- convinces customers to buy;
- increases Amazon search rankings and conversions;
- helps negotiate with the supplier.
Amazon’s Product Description Guidelines
Product description guidelines on Amazon are as follows:
- use well-written, simple sentences;
- give details on your bullet points;
- add helpful product information like materials, warranty information, dimensions, etc.;
- integrate highly relevant keywords into the sentences;
- apply the <br> tag to make short paragraphs;
- don’t use any other HTML tags;
- don’t exceed 2000 characters for the product description;
- don’t mention promotions and special offers;
- don’t include merchant-specific or offer-specific details (prices or shipping).
How to Optimize Amazon Product Description to Rank High in Search?
Ranking products high in search results is necessary to attract traffic (customers who reach your product listing) and conversions (those whose visit to your listing converts to sales). This is because shoppers rarely scroll to the 11th page of the search results. Mostly, they order products from pages 1-3.
This is why it’s vital that your listing appears on these pages when the customer searches for a product. For that, you need to improve the visibility and organic ranking of your listing.
How does Amazon rank products in search results?
To rank products in search, Amazon uses its proprietary algorithm, A10. When a customer enters a search query in the search bar, Amazon filters products by specific criteria to get those most relevant to that search and creates a list in the order of relevancy, broken down into pages.
Customer’s search terms, in this case, act as keywords.
Metrics considered by A10
- relevancy to shopper’s query (keywords);
- listing quality and optimization;
- product's quality;
- sales volumes;
- customer service quality;
- product performance;
- sales velocity;
- fulfillment method;
- stock availability;
- order defect rates.
What to do to get to page one of Amazon search results?
To rank high in Amazon search results, you should match A10 ranking criteria. To reach those, you need to optimize your listing and sales performance.
An optimized listing with the title, bullets, and product description helps you grow the product’s visibility in search results.
How to Create an Optimized Product Description?
Optimized product descriptions should contain clear and structured content customers can easily read and understand. Also, it should include highly relevant keywords. You have to maintain a balance between the content and keywords.
Product description content
When creating a product description, remember that it should be exciting and informative. Don’t copy-paste the manufacturer’s information.
Tips for product description content
- structure it in the form of problems and solutions;
- highlight product details you could not squeeze in the bullet points;
- convince buyers to make a purchasing decision;
- give information about your brand and product story;
- data should be structured, clear, and easily understood.
Product description keywords
Keywords should be highly relevant to your product. Otherwise, the traffic will not convert. Shoppers that expect to find an exercise mat for a gym will not buy a bed mattress you sell, no matter how good it is.
Tips for product description keywords
- do keyword research, automatically and manually;
- don’t add too many keywords;
- add only the keywords you haven’t used in the title or bullet points;
- apply long-tail keywords.
Dos and Don'ts of Amazon product description
Here’s what you should and shouldn't write in a good product description.
- use short sentences, arrange information in easy-to-read paragraphs;
- incorporate tag lines to separate the description into sections;
- add information that is missing in bullet points;
- tell a story about why shoppers should select your product;
- use clear and elegant language;
- apply capital letters to showcase features;
- openly speak about the product limitations;
- be specific with product features;
- check spelling and grammar;
- discuss real-life use cases;
- insert long-tail keywords;
- use only the keywords relevant to your product.
- assume that buyers won’t read the product description;
- use subjective definitions like “best,” “perfect,” “brilliant,” etc.;
- express your opinion;
- exaggerate, mislead, or over-promise;
- mention competitors;
- include pricing, shipping, or company information;
- add restricted words;
- incorporate irrelevant keywords;
- overstuff description with keywords so that it becomes impossible to understand;
- add HTML tags except for those allowed by Amazon.
Ranking high in search on Amazon means that you should create an optimized listing. This attracts shoppers and helps grow sales. The product description is one of the essential parts of the product detail page. It must be optimized for the relevant keyword phrases, be clear, structured, and answer customer questions. Don’t think that buyers are overlooking it. In fact, this is your final chance to convince your customer to purchase a product.
However, even the most optimized listing will not help if the product you sell is not profitable or has low sales potential and an overpopulated market niche.
Therefore, thorough product research is essential for successful sales on Amazon. Our tool can help you with this complicated task. Seller Assistant App combines all product research features necessary to find a profitable item with good sales potential. These are an FBM&FBA profit calculator, Advanced IP Alerts, Quick View, Stock Checker, and Restrictions Checker in one tool.
Try Seller Assistant Аpp now and grow your Amazon business with confidence. Register for our 14-day trial.