What Can I Sell on Amazon Without Approval in 2023?
Welcome, Amazon sellers, to an exciting opportunity that awaits you within the vast realm of e-commerce! In the ever-evolving world of online sales, expanding your product offerings and diversifying your business is crucial to staying ahead. That's why we're here to introduce you to the concept of ungated categories on Amazon. Unleash your potential by venturing into ungated product categories, opening doors to untapped markets, and unlocking a wealth of new possibilities.
In this post, we will explore Amazon's gated and ungated categories, provide insights into the ungating process, and equip you with the knowledge and tools to thrive in these lucrative domains. Get ready to broaden your horizons and elevate your Amazon business to new heights!
What Are Ungated and Gated Categories on Amazon?
When it comes to selling on Amazon, you may come across the terms "ungated" and "gated" categories. These terms refer to the restrictions and permissions placed on specific product categories by Amazon.
Ungated categories are those that are open to all sellers without any additional requirements or approvals. Sellers can freely list their products in these categories without going through a vetting process.
On the other hand, gated categories are those that require sellers to meet specific criteria or obtain approval before they can list products within those categories. These criteria often include factors such as submitting additional documents and invoices or complying with particular performance metrics. Gated categories serve to maintain quality control and protect customers from counterfeit or low-quality products.
Understanding the distinction between gated and ungated categories is crucial for Amazon sellers, as it determines the ease of entry and the level of competition within each category. By exploring ungated categories, sellers can discover new markets, expand their product offerings, and find untapped growth opportunities.
What Categories Are Ungated On Amazon?
If you're eager to dive into Amazon selling without the hassle of approval processes, targeting ungated categories and subcategories is the way to go. These categories provide an excellent opportunity for quick entry into the marketplace. However, staying updated with Amazon's guidelines is essential, as category restrictions may change over time. Here's a list of some open categories you can start selling in immediately.
List of ungated categories on Amazon
- Home & Garden;
- Amazon Device Accessories;
- Cell Phones & Accessories;
- Automotive & Powersports;
- Books (Non-Collectibles);
- Tools & Home Improvement;
- Musical Instruments.
Ungated categories and subcategories
While most categories are generally open, there are a few exceptions. The categories listed above are entirely ungated, meaning you can start selling in both the main category and its subcategories without prior approval.
However, it's important to note that there are also ungated categories that contain specific subcategories requiring approval. Therefore, while you may have unrestricted access to the main category, you must still obtain approval for particular subcategories within it. For instance, in the Toys & Games category, seasonal approval may be necessary during the winter holiday season.
Subcategories that may require approval
- Office Products;
- Grocery & Gourmet Foods;
- Pet Supplies;
- Video Games;
- Toys & Games;
- Baby Products (excluding apparel);
- Health & Personal Care.
How to Get Ungated in Amazon Categories?
Getting ungated in Amazon categories requires following a specific process and meeting the necessary criteria. Remember that the ungating process can differ depending on the category and Amazon's evolving policies.
Amazon ungating process step by step
- Step 1. Research and choose a category
Identify the category you want to get ungated in. Make sure it aligns with your products and business goals.
- Step 2. Meet the prerequisites
Determine the specific requirements for ungating in your chosen category. This may include factors such as a Professional selling plan, good performance metrics, additional documents, or invoices. Ensure that you fulfill these prerequisites before proceeding.
- Step 3. Prepare required documentation
Gather the necessary documents and information to support your application. This may include invoices from legitimate suppliers with a minimum of 10 units of each product and dated within 90 days from your application date, trademark certificates, product certifications, or any other relevant documentation requested by Amazon.
- Step 4. Apply through Seller Central
Log in to your Amazon Seller Central account and access the "Manage Inventory" section. Look for the "Add a Product" button and click it. If the item you want to list appears restricted, click "Listing Limitations Apply." From there, you will find the option to select the "Request Approval" button. Submit your application, providing accurate and complete information and the requested documentation.
- Step 5. Await Amazon's review
After submitting your application, Amazon will review your request and evaluate your eligibility. The review process duration may vary, so be patient during this stage.
- Step 6. Follow up if needed
If Amazon requests additional information or documentation, promptly provide the requested materials to facilitate the review process. Stay attentive to any communication from Amazon regarding your application.
- Step 7. Maintain compliance
Once ungated, ensure ongoing compliance with Amazon's policies and guidelines for the category. Adhere to quality standards, customer service expectations, and any specific requirements outlined by Amazon.
Related: How To Get Ungated On Amazon In 2023
How to Know If a Product Is Ungated?
Before listing a product on Amazon, it's crucial to ensure your eligibility and verify if any restrictions apply. Seller Assistant App comes to your aid by helping you identify potential issues with your product.
Seller Assistant App's Restriction Checker feature conveniently displays your product's selling status directly on Amazon's product and search pages. A Green Lock icon signifies that you can sell the item without restrictions, while a Red Lock icon indicates that you are ineligible or require approval to sell the product on your account.
Additionally, Seller Assistant App offers a Bulk Restriction Checker, enabling you to check multiple products for Amazon's restrictions simultaneously.
By utilizing Seller Assistant App, you can swiftly determine your eligibility and navigate Amazon's selling guidelines with ease.
Gated vs. Ungated Categories: Which Is Better for You?
The choice between gated and ungated categories on Amazon depends on various factors and your business goals. Choosing between gated and ungated categories is determined by your business strategy, available resources, and risk tolerance. Some sellers prefer the rigorous quality control of gated categories, while others opt for the flexibility and quick entry of ungated categories. It's essential to analyze your products, competition, and target audience to determine which approach aligns best with your long-term goals. Additionally, periodically reevaluating category options based on market trends and changes in Amazon's policies can help optimize your selling strategy.
Let's explore the advantages and considerations of each type.
Ungated category benefits
- Quick Market Entry: Ungated categories allow you to start selling products without undergoing a lengthy approval process, enabling faster market entry and potential revenue generation.
- Getting profit right away: Sellers can start generating profits sooner as they can list their products without undergoing an approval process, enabling a quicker entry into the market.
- Lower entry barriers: With ungated categories, are fewer rules and restrictions to navigate, providing sellers with more flexibility and fewer barriers when it comes to product selection and listing, allowing for a smoother selling experience.
Gated category benefits
- Reduced competition: Since entry is restricted, gated categories typically have fewer sellers, which can lead to reduced competition and potentially higher profit margins.
- Niche opportunities: Gated categories may offer unique and specialized product niches, allowing you to cater to specific customer needs and interests.
- Quality control: Gated categories often have strict requirements and approval processes in place, ensuring higher standards for product authenticity, brand protection, and customer trust.
What does ungated mean for Amazon?
For Amazon sellers, "ungated" refers to categories or subcategories in which they can list and sell products without needing to go through a specific approval process. It allows sellers to enter these categories more efficiently, giving them broader opportunities to expand their product offerings and reach a wider customer base.
How do I request ungated on Amazon?
To request ungating in a specific category on Amazon, you need to follow these general steps:
- Step 1. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria: Professional selling plan, good performance metrics, providing documents requested by Amazon, and invoices.
- Step 2. Apply through your Seller Central: If the product you list comes back as restricted, click the "Listing Limitations Apply" > "Request Approval" button.
- Step 3. Submit the required documentation: invoices from legitimate suppliers with a minimum of 10 units of each product and dated within 90 days from your application date, product certifications, additional warranties, etc.
What is the difference between gated and ungated categories on Amazon?
The difference between gated and ungated categories on Amazon lies in the level of restrictions imposed on sellers. Gated categories require sellers to obtain approval and meet specific criteria before listing products, ensuring quality control and customer protection. On the other hand, ungated categories allow sellers to list products without undergoing a rigorous approval process, providing easier access and more flexibility in expanding their product offerings.
How to ungate categories on Amazon?
To request ungating in a specific Amazon category:
- Check eligibility criteria: Ensure you have a professional selling plan, good performance metrics, and the required documents like invoices and certifications.
- Apply through Seller Central: If a listed product is restricted, click "Listing Limitations Apply" and select the "Request Approval" button.
- Submit necessary documentation: Provide invoices from legitimate suppliers (minimum 10 units per product, dated within 90 days), along with product certifications and additional warranties, if applicable.
Now that you have explored Amazon seller ungated categories and are armed with knowledge and insights, you are equipped to take advantage of the vast opportunities that await you in these unrestricted realms. Remember, ungated categories offer a pathway to quicker market entry, more comprehensive product ranges, and the potential for increased profits. Embrace the freedom and flexibility that comes with exploring new horizons on Amazon. Stay updated with Amazon's guidelines, adapt your strategies to evolving market trends, and unlock the full potential of your business. Get ready to thrive and soar to new heights in the world of Amazon selling!
Seller Assistant Аpp will effectively and reliably help you with this task. This all-in-one extension incorporates all features vital for product research. Seller Assistant App shows you the product’s profit, margin, and ROI. It also helps you immediately see if a product has any sales restrictions or has previously triggered problems with account health. It combines an FBM&FBA profit calculator, Quick View, Stock Checker, and Restrictions Checker in one tool.